I am excited to share with you another of my family’s favorite dishes. We have been eating pizza rolls for decades. I remember making pizza rolls with my mom when I was a teenager. Now that my mom is living with us, it’s fun to make pizza rolls with her again, this time with my daughters in the kitchen with us.
Since I have five siblings, we have adapted this recipe over the years to feed a crowd. Whenever any of my brothers or nephews have a birthday or a cause for celebration, they request pizza rolls. We have made these pizza rolls for numerous guests and family friends over the years, and they have always been a huge hit.
The most difficult part of this recipe (and it’s not very difficult) is assembling the pizza rolls in the egg roll wrappers. It’s just like rolling up an egg roll. I have photos and instructions below:
It’s impossible to eat just one! And the good news is, the recipe makes enough for everyone to enjoy several, if desired. These rolls are perfection when served fresh and hot, but they also delicious reheated the next day.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 pounds sausage (pork or turkey)
- 1 (15 oz) package of pepperoni, chopped (tip: the easiest way to chop pepperoni is to cut them with kitchen scissors)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos peppers or bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 can (4 oz) mushrooms
- 2 cans (4.25 oz) chopped olives
- 1 can (4 oz) crushed pineapple
- 2 (6oz) bags of shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (optional)
- Additional salt and pepper, according to taste
- Oil, for frying
- Marinara or pasta sauce for dipping
- In a large pan, cook the hamburger, sausage, chopped turkey pepperoni, chopped onion, chopped jalepeno or bell peppers, and chopped garlic. Cook this mixture until the meat is well done and drain the grease from the pan.
- Add the mushrooms, chopped olives, and crushed pineapple. Stir until well combined.
- Add the Parmesan and cheddar cheese. If desired, add the fresh basil. Add any additional salt and pepper, as needed.
- Heat a large pot of oil.
- Wrap the meat mixture into the egg roll wrappers. (Take an egg roll wrapper, and wet each side of the egg roll wrapper with water. Put the meat mixture in the center of the egg roll wrapper. Press two opposite corners of the egg roll wrappers together, then take a third corner and start rolling until the wrapper is sealed.)
- Drop the pizza rolls into the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Take the rolls out of the oil and let them drain on paper towels.
- Dip the pizza rolls into the marinara or pasta sauce and rejoice in the deliciousness!
I would love to hear from you! Does your family have a favorite recipe that you have made for years, and that has become a part of your traditions? Leave a comment and let me know.